Lee
Hello, my name is Lee.  I was hoping someone may help.  Work is slow at the minute and money tight.  I recently noticed my favourite Levi’s Denim is looking as fed up as me. I’ve bought some Prociom MX (2small bottles) Cobalt Blue, very loud I know.

q1 do I need to remove the polyester red Levi’s label on the jacket pocket before applying

and 

q2 am I right the more dye used the deeper the colour.

Many thanks and stay safe, Lee
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
HI Lee,  

Anything polyester will be unaffected by the dyeing.  It won't even stain, it will just rinse off.  So no worry there. 

The more dye you use the darker the color.  I suggest a body temp bath ~100 degrees or 37C.  

You can't use too much dye for procion, but only so much will bond, so the more you use, the more important rinsing is.  Second if you use a lot of dye, stirring becomes more and more important.  I used way to much dye on my daughters pajamas and they got really dark, but there were dyeing artifacts.  I used 3 bottles of dye on a 3 year old's pj's tho.  2 for a jean jacket sounds fine.  

The key to getting a dark color with procion is salt.  Salt make the dye more attracted to the fabric.  

Add dye to the bucket make sure it is 100% dissolved.  A paper towel dip can tell you if there are specks undissolved in there.  Add your jacket already wet. Stir it up get it totally saturated.  Add your 1/3 cup per gallon of soda ash.  Some people pre-dissolve in hot water in like a quart. When you add that this is the most important time to stir.  Stir for 3 min straight.  Now add 3 cups of salt in 5 min intervals.  Stirringa lot each time.  After this dye for up to an hour and that should be dark enough.    
Quote 0 0
Lee
Many thanks for your advice.  The dye (cobalt blue) has arrived and I have Rit dye fixative and will use salt like you suggest.  Couldn’t find cobalt on their colour chart but we’ll find out when it’s done I suppose.  Will let you know the outcome.  You’ll be proud of a virgin dyer or fall about laughing one or the other.  Lee
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
HI Lee,

We have 2 different companies and several components I want to make sure are correct here. 

I suggest Jacquard Cobalt Blue Procion MX dye.  That needs soda ash as a fixative and plain table salt. That's all.

Now the rit fixative is fine when used after the dyeing is complete.  It is truly meant for direct dyes like Rit all purpose and our own version iDye natural, which are not chemically fixed like Procion dye and tend to wash out of fabric. 

Procion can't really wash out because it is chemically bonded to the fiber. The rit fixative is a positively charged ion that gets stuck in the fabric and attracts dye.  IT will hold more of the procion dye, but it's effects will be pretty minimal.  I just want to differentiate that from the Soda ash, which is a different type of fixative and has to be used with procion dye.  

In other words that Rit fixative is optional, but it doesn't replace the need for soda ash which is not optional.  
Quote 0 0
Lee
Many thanks for the guidance.  I think this is why the phrase “what could possibly go wrong” Was invented for.
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
hahaha 
Quote 0 0
Lee
Hi, quick question.  Once the dyeing is done, do I hang to drip dry or does the jacket need to go in the washing machine.  Apologies if I sound thick, I have other skill sets haha
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
You can go directly into the washing machine if you like.  You should rinse thoroughly at the end and put in the wash or really rinse well until the color stops coming out and the water runs clear.  

Leaving procion pooling in fabric after it is dyed will lead to cloudiness or other unwanted marks.  Procion is not a leveling or very even dye.  If different parts of the fabric get any different exposure to dye concentrations, it can be a slightly different darkness even if it is just left for a few minutes.  

For example, you don't want to leave it folded up and just sitting there before rinsing because you will see the folds.  
Quote 0 0
Lee
Many thanks.  Well ended up with a even coloured jacket.  Darker than planned due to me somehow only using 1 gallon not 3 of water.  However it’s a lovely blue.  Many thanks for your help.  Lee
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Awesome!  Can you post a picture?
Quote 0 0