Lulululu
Hello! I have a vast history in textiles, some of it on the unusual side ( I was a milliner for many years and have also done restoration on antique textiles, among other things). My history with dyes is sloppy and undisciplined and entirely with natural fibers. So here I am, hoping to learn a bit - and I'm starting with a monster of a project:

I want to make a dragon skin pattern on a (fairly short pile) fleece plush blanket for someone. It will actually be a cape sort of thing, so I will have some scraps to experiment with. She likes blue with purple. I had a great deal of difficulty finding  a blue fleece blanket (most popular color - everyone is out)  and ended up with one that is medium blue, so will likely need to remove some color before adding in purple. Have any of you ever worked with plush? I've combed the internet and found nothing at all on doing so. 

Other details:

It doesn't need to be terribly precise - just going for a scaly texture.

I can paint or block print it.   

Ideally, I'd like to add some luminescence - glitter or pearliness. 

Ideas? Wisdom? 

Thank you! 
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Is the fleece made of polyester?  Removing color may be next to impossible if so.  Color remover doesn't really work on poly.  Soda ash works a little on its own, but probably will only lighten a single shade. 

As for the pattern.  I think you want either versatex to block print with, and there are a few different metallic colors.  Gold, Silver, copper.  You could also add any color of our pearl ex to that as well as long as the color you were printing was transparent.  A black or white is going to cover the pearl.

Plush is very tough.  I think you ought to test your block printing or stencil use for proof of concept before you go whole hog.  Hand painting could be done with Lumiere, or Textile color. On plush I would probably use textile color with pearl ex added rather than lumiere because the textile will be softer.  
Quote 0 0
Lulululu
Yes,  it is polyester. These are all dyes, not inks, so they will sit on top of the fabric as opposed to dying it - is that right? I know a metallic would have to , but what about a color, like purple? Is plush dyeable? 

I'll give your suggestions a try on some scrap fabric and if it doesn't work I will make applied (3D) scales. One way or another, I will slay this dragon!

Thank you for your response!
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Dye an flow is a very very thin paint, so it will give you a dye a effect without having to put it on teh stove or boil it or anything like that.  That is what Dye an flow is for.  It sinks into the fiber and has sort of watercolor effect.  It shouldn't change the texture much at all.  I highly recommend it.  It is probably going to be hard to heat set on plush, so I would recommend using airfix to make the dye na flow very permanent.  

Cool thing to make the metallic softer, you can add it to dye na flow actually.  I recommend 5-10%

https://jacquardproducts.com/airfix.html

Quote 0 0