Jrs
First attempt dying Rooster Hackle. Olive dyes Brown (Dark) read to add a little turquoise. No luck..Tried less amount  .Less time .. altering amount of turquoise.  What else can I do. Frustrated that its listed as "olive" . Help !! 
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
I have 2 good olive recipes.  
5 % turquoise
12.5% Black
82% Sun Yellow

This is greener olive, a little more yellow than a forest green

The other one is 12.5% black
82.5% Sun Yellow
This is more yellow and looks almost military green.  

I think I would add more turquoise to your mix not less probably.  
Quote 1 0
Jrs
Thank you.
Quote 0 0
Jrs
Is there a guide to making colors ? Making a color lighter or darker ? Is it similar to picture paint ? 
Quote 0 0
Flyfisho
@Jacquardmod Can I ask if you would expect any different result when hair, fur and feathers are still on the hide? I dye Deerhair on the hide with Acid Dyes and am looking to progress to large commercial quantities as demand increases, Olive is the only colour that I cant figure out. Like @Jrs the hair goes a rich chestnut colour but there is a dark olive colour in the hide. Would you expect different results from higher concentrations of acid (white vinegar) ?
The Deertail in the photo is dyed with Olive as per the instructions outlined in the PDF on the Jacquard website
Thanks in advance.
IMG_0766.jpg 
Quote 1 0
Jrs
@Flyfisho I ordered the colors they said to make a "Green Olive" . Ill try to repost colors they gave me. It really is a nice dye..Just not the "olive" I was looking for. I tried on Many feathers/Hair.  It comes out a rich Chestnut. Its shade can be changed by time spent in dye but not its color 
Fingers crossed on new receipe 
Quote 0 0
Flyfisho
@Jrs Thanks for the reply. I'm just not following the part about the chestnut. I also get chestnut from the off the shelf container of olive, but are you saying that after buying the colors to make the recipe that @Jacquardmod suggested above and mixing it your self, that the items your dying are still turning a rich chestnut color?

I was reading another post about the super fast acid dye in black and how more effective it is on hard to dye items such as hair and feathers, I wonder if Olive could be made by mixing the colours available in the Super Fast Acid Dye range? Any advice on that direction @Jacquardmod ?
Quote 0 0
Jrs
@Flyfisho Negative.. I have yet to receive order Ill keep you posted.  I was agreeing with you that " Olive" is not Olive but Chestnut in color . 
Quote 1 0
Flyfisho
Got ya ðŸ‘ 
Thanks again for the reply, I am super keen to hear how you go.
Quote 1 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
The more we are talking about this, I was reminded of an issue someone else had here, and it was with foxtails.  They could not get the turquoise to strike the foxtail.  That was really weird, but when I look at that deer fur, I am struck by the fact that the blue did not strike at all. That would be an olive color if the blue had taken to the fur.  Just like Flyfisho says, the hide dyed the correct color.  So the fur isn't taking the blue.  

It might make sense to overload the current olive with another blue.  I think I would suggest sky blue.  

It's hard to say whether more or less acid is the answer.  There is no way to really say, but I encourage you to experiment.  This is a good lesson, that dyes final color is really dependent on the surface being dyed and you can get major color shifts on hide vs fur, or silk vs wool etc.  
Quote 2 0