detobias detobias
thanks for reply about microwave. 
How about this idea?
Know it works well with acid dyes and wool.
My goal is to get intense speckled effect with multicolors on poly velvet. 
-In steam pan line with alum foil and place small amt water in bottom then another layer of foil then wet, folded or scrunched velvet piece, then sprinkle idye poly powder, cover and bake at ?temp for ?time. 
Think it would work?
Water would steam it and not dry out and yet I could get more intense colors without water diluting. 

Would  this be safe? Safer than microwave?
thanks in advance!
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
I think this will work.  I just applied some polyester dye with just cold water tie dye style, let it dry and then ironed it and it worked.  So yes, I think this will do it.  I definitely got speckles! 
Quote 0 0
detobias detobias
Tie dye style?
hot iron for how long?
color fast?
can you post pix?

but my question was oven. You are saying that would work and not toxic. Am concerned bc reaction is gaseous. 
Thx!
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
I think the foil will largely contain the gas.  I understand the concern there.  It should have such a high affinity for the poly that it will not escape.  I was wondering that about ironing this tie dye and I didn't see any colored gas.  So I think you will be fine

Maybe the iron is the way to go?  Check this out.  I ironed it at first on a cotton setting and that is totally doable if you keep the iron moving.  I messed up at one point and left it on too long and melted part of the shirt.  It will work at synthetic setting, but takes much longer.  It is really wild.  The shirt was totally grey before I applied the heat.  It appeared like magic
Quote 0 0
detobias detobias
Ironed directly on shirt? How about ironing on foil which is on fabric?  To increase the heat
no steam?
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Yeah probably a good idea.  Direct contact might be too much.  I like the idea of foil as a buffer.  
Quote 0 0
detobias detobias
I tried oven and iron. Both worth experimenting more. 
The speckles from salt shaker and iron on foil in a disposable turkey pan. One on right I sprayed water on. Ridges because if pan design though I tried to make flat!
oven worked well to spot dye with second color on top of violet, second pix on left  
thanks!E8798156-F95B-4778-89E7-E97286D1F990.jpeg  26CAD92D-6E45-499A-BF61-4D7F7E7AF7D7.jpeg 
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Very interesting!  Keep us posted
Quote 0 0