Herebebears
Using Jacquard textile paint...it is supposed to be heat-set tumbling in a clothes dryer on high for 45 minutes. I had them in the dryer On high for 2x60min, then threw them in the washing machine to see how they would hold up to washing. (Last picture, before/after). Wtf.FC37BA18-757E-4F8E-B38E-8F745133C2C5.jpeg  C8E72F86-5E08-4C8F-BC7D-7027CCB3FC4C.jpeg
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Hi,

Where did you get this information?  We don't officially endorse this method, but 8 have heard it works before.  The problem as I see it, is that it's easy to say "high temp" for a dryer, but what temp is that exactly?  I think it can vary dryer to dryer.  I always suggest people do tests before they go with this method because not all dryers are created equal.  

The best way to ensure a good cure on the paint without ironing at 300F for 30 sec each area is to use airfix by mixing it at 3% and letting the paint dry  and cure completely for 72 hrs.  
Quote 0 0
Herebebears
Where did I get this information?...
on the Jacquard website...you might want to explore it a bit before commenting? 494DD501-823A-4D43-9A1F-8BE706ED597E.png 
Anyway, thank you for your suggestions.
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
We talked about this quite a bit.  How long did you wait for the paint to dry?  It has to be 100% dry before heat setting.  I wonder if it was not totally dry, I prefer to wait 24hrs before heat setting.  Thanks for the heads that this is actually on the website.  I know people do this successfully, I don't think it is the best option, but I guess it is possible.  
Quote 0 0
Herebebears
I think that might be part of the problem it was dry to the touch, but I suspect I may not have let it dry long enough.

A bit more about how I applied the paint. 
I put it down in layers and put it in the dryer after every layer. Can I heat treat between layers, or should I do all layers and then heat treat all of them at once?

thanks
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Oh that actually might be it.  It is ok to layer without heat setting.  In fact it is worse to heat set before the next layer.  Basically what happens when you heat set is that you are turning all these different brushstrokes into one large piece of paint so that it can stick better.  When you heat set between layers that is like having several large sheets of paint stacked.  

Did you notice the paint peeling off in addition to it just washing off?  That might be the reason.  You are better off letting it dry longer i think, and doing a single heat setting step.

Still, I think you might want to go the airfix route

https://www.jacquardproducts.com/airfix
Quote 0 0