Resistant
Hi,

I've seen similar questions asked around, but my needs are a tad different, so I thought I'd ask too.

I got iDye Poly (pink and turquoise) to dye PBT keyboard keycaps. I'm hoping to get them to be a softer, muted version of the bright dye (ideally in a pastel-style colour).

I know I should use less dye, but unfortunately I don't have any spare keycaps I can throw dye on to test, so I need to get it right first time. Since you can always go darker (but never lighter), should I try with 1/4th of the normal concentration to start ? 1/8th ? Can I just keep going darker and darker or is there a point where you can't keep dyeing the item ? 

Thanks for the info !

Henry
Quote 0 0
Resistant
These are the kinds of colours I'd like to go for : 

https://www.amazon.com/YMDK-Suitable-Switches-Mechanical-Keyboard/dp/B081G8QNPJ
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
I think I would go even less than that.  Solid objects don't soak up as much dye as fabric.  So you don't need much.  I usually recommend 1% by dye weight to get strong color on plastic.  That means you can dye 3 lbs of keys strongly with one packet of dye.  

There are 2 tablespoons approx in the packet.  1/3 meaning, 2 teaspoons would be enough for one lb.  I am assuming those keys don't weigh much.  A whole keyboard is probably less than 1/4 lb.  2 divided by 4  is 1/2 a teaspoon.  So, if you want to start light and possibly go darker, I would start at maybe a quarter teaspoons moved up by quarter teaspoons.  

How much time you leave them in the boiling dye matter too.  You should see the color jump on right away.  I would set it up so you can get them all out quickly.  
Quote 0 0
Resistant

Yes the weight of the keys is quite low. Around 55 grams for one batch, and 15g for the other. So I should use around 1/4 teaspoon (1/12th of the dye solution) for the larger set, and around 1/36th of the solution for the other?

And to get those fractions, I dissolve the whole packet first, and take the required amount out ?

Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
A quarter teaspoon might still be too much for 55 grams.  You want more  like 1/3 of that.  Wow it is so little dye.  It might be easier to dissolve a teaspoon and then take 1/12 of that.  Normally I would suggest not cutting open the packet and using the dye as a powder, but you might want to in this case. So it is 1/32 for the 55g and 1/98 for the 15 grams
Quote 0 0
Resistant

I can do it homeopathic style 😉

Take half the dye, then dilute it again, then take a quarter of the second solution ?

Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
yes that is the right way to do it.  
Quote 0 0
Resistant
It all went to plan 😎
Thanks for the help, the keyboard came out great !
I ended up eyeballing it, but I got a good result
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
You have to post a picture!!
Quote 0 0
Resistant
Here it is !
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Yeah looks great.  Nailed it!  I surprised the Turquoise was still so strong. Beautiful.  Can we share this on social media?   Do you want attribution?  You can private message me and don't have to post anything here.  
Quote 0 0