kathrynloch kathrynloch
Hi! I wanted to share this with everyone. I have great fun with Pearl Ex pigments and "painting" miniatures. No, I don't mix them into a medium. I apply them dry and then apply a sealer.

I have gotten fantastic results on armor.

Photobucket

Photobucket

And I've expanded the technique to fantasy animals. I just completed a "black griffon" using Pearl Ex and his colors depend on the lighting.

Under bright, direct light he can be quite bold.

Photobucket

Because I used duo and interference colors, if I change the angle, different colors come to the fore.

Photobucket

And if I take him outside, he looks completely different again!

Photobucket

My goal painting him was to create something similar to a Raven or a Crow. When these birds stand in the bright sunlight, you can see all sorts of hues, purple, blue, green, etc. in their feathers.

Photobucket

I was very pleased with the way he turned out and so was the person who bought him. I was surprised when someone snapped him up quickly.

Metallic paints are most often used in miniature painting. As far as I know, no one has ever used dry metallic pigments. Someone asked me why I didn't use paints and to me the pigments give an entirely different effect. Metallic paint is also "heavy" for lack of a better term, with Pearl Ex I can vary the application.

On the knight's armor, I used Antique Silver where the color needed to be darker and regular Silver for highlights. On the griffon, there are actually several layers of color and many places where I blended the pigments together on the model.

Currently I am working on a dragon for a competition entry. We shall see how he turns out. Keep your fingers crossed!

If anyone wants info on how I did this, just give me a shout. I'm happy to help!

Cheers,
Kath

Quote 0 0
mashell mashell
Your griffon turned out extraordinary! Which pigments did you use on him? And did you paint his feathers all black before you began, then let it show through in places?
Quote 0 0
Asher Asher
Beautiful!
Quote 0 0
kathrynloch kathrynloch
Hi mashell and Asher - thank you both!

mashell, I did start with all black feathers. I actually have a couple of layers on him. I used True Blue and then blended Sky Blue on the edges of the large feathers. I alternated colors on the second row of feathers with Duo Blue Green and Mink.
I don't use a brush to apply them - they get really messy with brushes. I use a tool I found on Dick Blick called Colour Shapers. It's a rubber applicator and they come in different shapes and sizes. I can apply the metallic pigments and blend them together. Then I seal them with an aerosol sealer.
Quote 0 0