knittingmom knittingmom Show full post »
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
If someone in my family asked to this, I would let them. I would not be concerned about any health risks. That said, we cannot recommend it as a nail polish pigment because it hasn't been tested that way, and it is irresponsible to suggest it.

The biggest risk with pearl ex remain breathing it into your lungs. Wear a mask if you are kicking up pearl ex dust.

Use at your own risk, but please use some common sense.
Quote 0 0
mysticalsister
I would never use any pigment or other powder that hadn’t been tested and shown safe for face/lips/eyes by a regulatory body such as the US FDA. Even some pigments approved for face makeup are poisonous/carcinogenic when applied to the lips (get in our mouths) or cause cornea scratches or infections/cancer when applied to the eyes.
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Hi,

This is a pretty contentious thread.  Pearl ex is made of the same stuff as cosmetic pigments.  The big difference is that cosmetics usually have an oil or paste added to reduce airborne particles so you don't breathe them.

It is also true that we package them in an art supply factory, so it is not quite the sterile environment that cosmetics would be packaged in.  

However, for use with nail polish?  The lacquer and acetone in nail products is the dangerous part not the pigment.  We used to sell a pearl ex nail kit.  I have no issue with that whatsoever.  I think it is plenty safe . 

Really use your best judgement when using a product for something other than it's intended use.  Pearl ex is very safe and not reactive, but yes getting it in your eyes will hurt, and breathing it in any amount is not healthy.  
Quote 0 0
mysticalsister

Many cosmetic pigments are prohibited for use near eyes or lips. There’s lots of reliable information on cosmetic formulator websites detailing which pigments are approved for which use.

Hi,

This is a pretty contentious thread.  Pearl ex is made of the same stuff as cosmetic pigments.  The big difference is that cosmetics usually have an oil or paste added to reduce airborne particles so you don't breathe them.

It is also true that we package them in an art supply factory, so it is not quite the sterile environment that cosmetics would be packaged in.  

However, for use with nail polish?  The lacquer and acetone in nail products is the dangerous part not the pigment.  We used to sell a pearl ex nail kit.  I have no issue with that whatsoever.  I think it is plenty safe . 

Really use your best judgement when using a product for something other than it's intended use.  Pearl ex is very safe and not reactive, but yes getting it in your eyes will hurt, and breathing it in any amount is not healthy.  
Quote 0 0