tubbesing

My PearlEx 32 color set contains four categories of colors: Metallic Colors, Interference Colors, Duo Colors, and Fashion Colors. So I have two questions:

1. How are the metallic-looking Fashion Colors different from the Metallic Colors? E.G. – how is 691 Solar Gold in the Fashion Colors different from the five golds (656, 657, 658, 659, 665) in the Metallic Colors?

2. How are the Interference Colors different from the Duo Colors? My understanding is that interference colors are angle-dependent, giving off different colors depending on viewing angle. How does this differ from the three Duo Colors (680, 692, 693) in the set?

Thanks.

Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
#1 I am not sure the fashion colors and metallic colors categories are very useful.  I think originally it was meant as a way to distinguish the pearlescent (blue green red etc) colors from the metallic colors. As you say, some metallics are included here so those designations don't make much sense. Solar gold is just a really pretty gold and it was added later in the life of pearl ex and i think that is the only reason it is in the fashion colors.  It is a pure gold, and all the different golds are pure rather than mixed colors, which is nice.  It would make more sense if it was included in the metallic colors.

As far as Duo vs interference there is a subtle if important difference here.  Yes the interference colors show different colors on the angle of light.  Generally they look like white pearls, but viewed from different angles they show gold, green, red, blue, depending on the angle.  These colors show up better if you put them on a black background.  So Interference green looks much more green on black whereas on white it looks white unless you look at a very tight angle looking down the edge of the paper or surface.

The Duo colors are related because they too have different angles of viewing that give different color.  However, they are not just white and another color, they are 2 different colors depending if they are on a white background or a black background.  The first color is the color that it looks like on white so Duo Blue green looks blue on white, but green on black.  They are definitely related in how the colors work, but are more complex with how their color changes.  

Hope this helps.  You should have a lot of fun experimenting with these different pigments. They are fun and interesting.  The duo colors adn interference colors are really interesting and the background they are put on is as important as the colors themselves.  
Quote 0 0
tubbesing
Thanks, this helps a lot.
Quote 0 0