AJCCOKUJHAWK
Greetings-
I just finished dying my first ever piece of polyester.  I used iDye Poly, and will definitely need a LOT more practice. However, I have now washed this shirt 4 times and the dye keeps releasing.  I am not going to do more pieces if they continue to "run" - I can't have laundry ruined each time I wash something.
Suggestions?
TIA
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Hello,

This is "crocking" where the fabric has just too much dye in it.  I am guessing your shirt is very thin and wispy and probably weighs much less than 1 lb.  We see this most often with the poly dye, but it can happen with other dyes too.  When there is too much dye, no matter how much you wash it it seems to bleed.  In the worst case scenario, it rubs off even when dry.  That is a terrible problem.

The good news is that you can fix it.  You have to get it hot.  Boil your water again, but this time no dye, when you put the shirt in the clean boiling water it will release the excess dye into the water.  Some people try to capture that dye with an old white sock which is usually polyester.  That can really help.  

Sorry for the extra trouble.  It doesn't happen often, but does when you dye a lot less than the recommended amount.  It's normal to think there can't be too much dye, but in the case of the polyester dye it can be a problem.  
Quote 0 0
AJCCOKUJHAWK
Thanks for the info!
What’s the statute of limitations? I have boiled this shirt 6 times now and it continues to release dye.
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Wow that is crazy.  I think it will always release a bit, but it is releasing a lot still?  When you get it wet can you rub dye off of it?

When you washed it in the washer were you washing it in hot water?  Poly dyed items should always be washed cold.  

How thin is this shirt?  It must be gossamer thin
Quote 0 0