SJ
Hi,

I do printing on fabric using wooden stamps. So far I have used fabric paint but want to try it out with procion mx dyes. I have a print paste to which I will add soda ash and dyes, and will use that for printing. My question is: how is the dye set onto the fabric? Do I let it air dry for a day and then heat set it using an iron, steam it or rinse with cold-hot water after the printing? And if so, after how many hours should I steam or rinse the fabric? I am unable to find a clear answer to this online. I would appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Thanks!
SJ.
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
HI,

I did this with screen printing, but not wooden stamps, but I did a pretty thorough investigation.  I added the soda ash and dye together, and I also did it separately by treating the fabric with soda ash beforehand and not adding it to my dye paste.  The latter is the best method.  You should soak your fabric in soda ash and then let it dry completely before you print.  

The thing you are missing here is the Urea that should be mixed in with the paste.  

• What is the paste you are using?  We Suggest using sodium alginate which is what I used.  I love printing with it because you can get a wide variety of thicknesses with it to match your printing process, and it is just so smooth it is a pleasure to print.  
I think it is a good idea to look at the directions here for guidance even if you don't use the alginate.  I did it with and without soda ash, mixing the soda ash in, and with and without the Urea as well.  By far with Urea and pre-treating the fabric with soda ash worked best.  You can iron your soda ash treated fabric.  

https://www.jacquardproducts.com/sodium-alginate

Then once it is all done there is no heat set require.  What you want to do is leave your print over night at least and 24 hrs if possible in a warm place wrapped in plastic to keep it wet. .  Near a heater or in a spot the sun gets through the window.  Some people use a heating pad and that works really well.  You get the best color if it stays wet longer, so airtight is best in a warm place.  
Quote 1 0
SJ
Thank you so much!! This is so very helpful and I appreciate your detailed response!

I did use urea to make the print paste...I forgot to mention that. The paste has come out to a really nice consistency.

After leaving the print for at least 24 hours, I would need to rinse it with cold and then warm water, am I right? Would I have to rinse it with Synthrapol or just plain water?

Thank you again for your reply!!

SJ.
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
The reason you want to use synthrapol in your initial washing is to prevent back staining.  Back staining is where you have dyes in a very specific area and not around that area like you have screened dye and it is white surrounding it.  The worry here is that when you just rinse it, the color will bleed around it and stain those areas.  That is very likely to happen especially if the dye is red or black.  

When I wash something like this, I put the synthrapol on even before I put the water on.  That way I know there is soap there to prevent the back staining even before the water gets there.  Wash it really really thoroughly in cold, and then yes add a few more drops of synthrpol and wash in warm water until the water runs clear. 

Our Solar Fast wash is also excellent to prevent backstaining.  I think I prefer it over synthrapol.  
Quote 0 0
SJ
Thank you so much! 

SJ.
Quote 0 0