veighouda
Hi!
I am an avid crochet lover and love to make doilies, which are coming back in popularity, at least among the corchet community lol! But there are some really great designers out of eastern europe who are making some really interesting and complex patterns lately. And I think they look great in a gradient color way however I have not found any crochet thread that comes in a gradient color way, so that creative spirit of, fine I'll do it myself then! And with this covid thing I took a break from work and bucckled down to try it out for myself. I found a few great blogs to help me through how to make a nice gradient yarn an easy way, basically i wind the yarn into a ball and put it in a dye bath and the dye will penetrate at increasingly lower rates the further into the ball that you get. You can also do mini skeins which cuts down on the winding time but i find they tangle too much for me so i just go with the ball method, I have even had some success doing a two tone dye job. I'm really happy with how all the tests have turned out and worked up into my projects, not sure if i will ever go back even for just a solid color as I think the ones I dye are prettier.

This was my first experiment with some all purpose rit dye in scarlet bought at local craft store before i was able to track down some procion at a painting store, unfortunately the color really ran on this one but it was all purpose. Pattern is called Piacere by Svetlana Grebennikovar2.jpeg 
r1.jpeg 

Next was my first, and for the time being last lol, experiment with mixing my own procion colors, mixed turquoise and lemon yellow to get a lime gradient, but then ran out of thread for the last few rows, i tried and tried to get the same color on some more small balls as you can see below but just couldn't. After that i decided that I will stick with pre mixed colors for now, and when I dye up a gradient ball I also throw in another half a ball in a skein to soak up the darkest color just in case I run out at the end i will have extra. Pattern Amory doily by Olga Plekhanova.

l1.jpeg  l2.jpeg  l3.jpeg 
And my latest success Tegan in fuchsia gradient, with a bit of end color extra to finish off. Pattern 
Tegan by Grace Fearon. Very happy with this one.

f1.jpeg  f2.jpeg  f3.jpeg 
And finally another great success in bright orange, Pattern Delicate Clematis by Olga Mattheis. In the pics below you can see the yarn in its dye bath in a simple mason jar and then in a pot, thats where i put the dyed but still wet ball while i wind it onto a yarn swift into a hank before hanging up to dry so that the ball just rolls around in the pot.

o1.jpeg  o2.jpeg  o3.jpeg  o4.jpeg  o5.jpeg 
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Such a cool project with beautiful result.  Unbelievable!
Quote 0 0
veighouda
Thanks!
Quote 0 0
veighouda
My latest experiment, made a 2 tone gradient, usual ball method but had to do twice over, dyed the turquoise first, rinsed and then dried and then re-wrapped and did the lemon yellow second. After the rinse and dye the yellow ended up more a char trues or grass green but i'm still pretty happy with the way it turned out. I also did two versions of this, one I did in a soap soak only before dyeing and the other went into a soap and then a soda ash soak before dyeing. I wanted to see if it would make a difference in color intensity. I don't think it ended up changing anything, I'm working on the soda ash soak project now and will post pics when done. This one was the soap soak only. Patter Marion by Grace fearon. In the skein pics of the thread below the one on the left is the soap soak only and on the right is the soda ash soak.
m1.jpeg  m2.jpeg  m3.jpeg  m4.jpeg 
Quote 0 0
veighouda
And here is the first pic of the second experiment using a soda ash pre-soak. honestly i dont think it made a difference in color retention so from now on i am going to go with a simple soap presoak method to cut down on time. Last night i was up till 1 am rinsing out some more dye projects lol! I had to make use of the rest of the turquoise from the soap soak only project plus another 10 grams of some more turquoise only dyed up thread.
Pattern is Teagan by Grace Feaor - love this one. Sort of sad that the blue ran so much into the yellow and turned it chartreuse instead but its still pretty.

t1.jpeg 
Quote 0 0
veighouda
And here is another of my work, this wasnt exactly a dye job with procion, i thought i had grabbed rit all purpose - this was before i bit the bullet and went full on procion lol - and picked up a bottle of dylon rit liquid dye, still happy with the gradient result though.
Patter is azzura Doily by Olga Plekhanova
a1.jpeg  a2.jpeg 
Quote 0 0
veighouda
New Doily made with a 2 tone color gradient in fuschia and golden yellow, pattern is Marfa Doily by Olga Plekhanova 
dye has been a bit speckled but on this guy it turned out well and am happy with it
m1.jpeg  m2.jpeg 
Quote 0 0
veighouda
Now this guy I was not happy about, didn't end up liking the pattern center design being so frilly and it was a yarn eater, this thing ate up aprox 800 yards of thread, was originally working with just one 400 yard ball that had a lot of white in the center and then all the color transition got lost in the design of the leaves so i wasn't happy and ended up doing my best to dye the center along with some extra fuchsia to finish it off.
f4.jpeg 
First original ball and dye job, the color transition was not very long in the first place.

It didn't turn out so well the first time as i had not accounted for the extra weight of the doily vs the amount of dye so it turned out a light pink.

f3.jpeg 
This was after the first attempt to dunk dye it, not accounting for the amount of dye needed it came out this hot pink 😪

f1.jpeg 
f2.jpeg  .

This was after the second dunk in the dye, came out a darker fuchsia at least and so I have left it at that as it has also used up all my fuchsia lol

Heres what the extra skein looked like, it took 3 times in the dye jar to get it dark enough to my liking

1.jpeg  2.jpeg 

Tound one on the left, round 2 on the right, will have to post round 3 later.
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Wow!
Quote 0 0
veighouda
I recently did some experiments to see what the best method for ball dyeing gradient colors was, ended up dyeing 12 hanks in 3 different colors, navy, carmine red and marine violet. All I can say to that is, wind your ball loose! I did 3 methods, normal wind that's a bit tighter of the ball, a loose cage style wind and a normal wind around a hank that had been pre-dyed in the most diluted color gradient first. The pre-dyed because they were normal wind had quite a bit of the pre dye lightest color and didnt give the best result of color change, but isn't that bad if you cut out some of that pre dye, as evidence below with my most recently completed project in navy pre dye with pattern Linda by Zoya Matyushenko.
In the thread hanks below, top is extra thread dyed in hank form in the darkest color for extra to finish of patterns, on the left is the regular wind ball, in the middle is the pre dye ball and the right is the cage wind ball.
n1.jpeg 
n2.jpeg  n3.jpeg 
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
I still can't believe you are dyeing the yarn beforehand and the dye pattern comes from the way you crochet these.  
Quote 0 0
veighouda
Thank you!
some work out better than others as evidence by post having to over dye the bright fuchsia one, once I get an idea of how much thread is needed for the pattern i can better estimate how it may turn out and dye the same amount of thread. will have to post my most recent experiment, did a gradient dye in a new lazy technique I'm calling "Ball in a Bag" lol! I basically did the dye job as usual but instead of putting in a jar or bucket i put the ball and dye bath in a big ziplock back, it allowed me to manipulate and squeeze the ball more often, the color transition turned out really well, hardly any white spots, much smoother looking!
Quote 1 0
veighouda

i’m back! finally got around to working up my new dye experiment, I left off doing an experiment of adding more dye or adding more water to dilute a dye bath to achieve a gradient. Instead I did my usual ball dye method in a single dye bath with a few tweaks,

1. I double wound the ball, meaning first i washed and soaked the yarn in a hank, wound it into a ball and then re-wound into a ball again to get the ball as loose as possible for maximum dye penetration to cut down on white un-dyed spots, I find winding a ball off the hank from a swift still makes the ball too tight even when winding over a few fingers to make it loose.

2. I added soda ash after 60 min instead of the standard 30 min, over the course of 30 min 3x with another extra 10 min in the dye bath to allow as much of the deepest color to penetrate into the ball.

3. And finally my greatest lazy idea! Instead of having the dye bath and the ball in a jar or a bucket I poured it all into a big zip-lock bag. Why? Because I find that the more you are able to squeeze the ball to get the dye in there deeper the better the penetration and less white spots. Rolling the ball around in a jar or bucket and then taking it out with tongs to give a squeeze, or putting on rubber gloves to get right in there and squeeze it is inconvenient and not as effective as squeezing it frequently while its in the dye bath.

I got to thinking about it when i was frustrated with how much dye water ended up accidentally getting inside my gloves and staining my fingers, probably just need more practice but it go me thinking, it would be so great if i could have the ball and dye bath in some sort of star trek style force field where i could stick my hands in and around the ball to manipulate it with my hands covered by the force field. Nerd lol! But them I remembered ziplock bags!

And so it began. And even better I put the ziplock bath bag into another bucket of warm water to keep its temp warm and this also allowed the ball to float even more in the bag so that it didn’t end up sinking and sitting on just one side that i can’t see and rotate to compensate.

So the dye job turned out nice even, very little white spots, although there were more tangles when un-winding onto the swift to dye in hank form as the ball was veerrrryyy loose. But I wasn’t sure how it was going to end up looking till I worked it up into something. Finally finished a doily Piacere by Svetlana Grebennikova, previously i did this one on my very first Rit all purpose dye experiment and wanted to remake with a fiber reactive dyed version because the rit dye runs more when washed than i would like. Anyhow, here are the pics.

r8.jpeg r9.jpeg 
the so called ball in a bag method and a close up of the resulting yarn.

Below pics of the project, dont have the best lighting in the fall for good color pics but I tried.

r1.jpeg  r2.jpeg  r5.jpeg  r6.jpeg 

Quote 0 0