Jewelcake
I dyed a few polyester garments in the red idye poly on top of the stove as per the instructions and I have rinsed them many times. The colour is still coming out. Is it safe to put them in the washing machine or will it dye the machine inside?
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
The thing you want to make sure of here is that you don't wash in hot water.  Hot water is great at getting out dye, but it activates the poly dyes, so I would avoid it.  Washing in oxyclean or a cup of soda ash is a good idea if it is bleeding.  In extreme cases it should be reboiled with a cup of soda ash or oxyclean.  That's when after the wash it is still bleeding a lot.  In really hot water, you would expect some color to come out.  Always wash cold with the poly dye.  

3 caps of Synthrapol or 6 tablespoons of baby shampoo is also a good idea.  Add it to the load.  If you wash in cold water, your washer will be fine.  

Let us know if this doesn't work.  
Quote 0 0
Jewelcake
Thanks for replying. Unfortunately I live in the UK and I’m not sure what any of the products you are suggesting are. We don’t have any of those products available to us here. I will wash the items in colder water though, so thanks for that.
Quote 0 0
detobias detobias
I have had the same issue with red idye poly and poly velvet. It is the worst color for bleeding. Crimson much less. I had not been told about the  but have tried the other ideas without success. I sell my velvet to fiber artists and now have a disclaimer for the red.  Alex has told me I probably am saturating the fabric with excess dye and he is probably right in that I am after a Santa red. I dye in presto pot and do not use washer. 
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Jewelcake wrote:
Thanks for replying. Unfortunately I live in the UK and I’m not sure what any of the products you are suggesting are. We don’t have any of those products available to us here. I will wash the items in colder water though, so thanks for that.
Jewelcake wrote:

Soda ash should be readily available.  We sell it through our UK distributors Hunt the Moon and Art van Go. Synthrapol is also sold through these dealers. It is also called "washing soda".  In the US, you can get it at grocery stores in the cleaning aisle.  
Quote 0 0