doggability
I've tried 2 recipes with iDye Poly Red, neither of which give anything I would call red:
1. Entire package (dye & intensifier), 1 gallon water, 1 hour boil (on left in photo)
2. 1 tsp dye, 1/2 tsp color intensifier, 1 gallon water, 20 minutes boil (on right in photo)

#2 comes out a wine red, and while pleasing, still nothing close to a 'regular' red and even so after a few minutes turns to a dark brick red. The photos show the color lighter than is reality.

Dimensions are about 1" x 1" x 2"

What can be done ?Red-OM017283.jpg
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
ok.  You are using much too much dye here.  I think you are using tablespoons when you need teaspoons.  The dye is meant to work on 3lbs of fabric and you need less on solid objects than you do on fabric.  I would use 1% by weight.  I would imagine that is like 50 grams at most?  That means you need only half a gram.  A tablespoon is approx 7 grams and a teaspoon is a little over 2 grams.  That means you need a quarter teaspoon.  That will look better.

All that said, if you can't get a good red from the poly dye, it may not be so surprising.  It is slightly bricky.  I would also try our cherry red acid dye which would work great on these.  It can be done at 180 instead of boiling as well. I think it would give you a more Fire engine red color.  Use between 1/4 and 1 teaspoon in the same way as the poly suggestion.  
Quote 0 0
doggability
I am using 1 teaspoon, not 1 Tablespoon.

This is the cherry red acid dye?
https://www.moonlightfeather.com/dyes/jacquard-acid-dyes/cherry-red-jacquard-acid-dyes-1-2-oz/
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Yes.  

Ok, so even then a teaspoon is probably too much.  People use black poly because it gives you the best black on nylon, but for colors there are many more colors in acid.  
Quote 0 0
doggability
From left to right:
1. Entire package (dye & intensifier), 1 gallon water, 1 hour boil( same piece as original post)
2. 1 tsp dye, 1/2 tsp color intensifier, 1 gallon water, 20 minutes boil (same piece as original post)
3. iDye Poly Pink -  tsp dye, 1/2 tsp color intensifier, 1 gallon water, 15 minutes boil
4. Acid Dye - Cherry Red
  • 1 gallon water
  • 1/2 tsp dye
  • 2 Tbsp vinegar 
  • 30 minutes/180 degrees
Not thrilled with the red, but I guess it will have to do.
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Nice the cherry red looks good to me.  What do you not like about it?  Is it too pink?  You could add a touch of yellow if you want it to be more "fire engine"
Quote 0 0
doggability
I might mix some other color,not sure which. Is it possible to mix iDye Poly with Acid Dye?
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
I have never done that.  I suppose you could.  I don't see why not. You need to use poly temp if you mix them.  
Quote 0 0