CurlyHairedGirl
I had read that rinsing fabrics that are mostly red is more difficult, and I'm finding that to be true with the magenta I've got. I'm using cotton 600 count sheets (mask fabric) that were new, then scoured in the washer for an hour with the lid up, and boiling water added.

I'm wanting to stick with pure colors and mix my own because I want to dye silk in the future.

I had several questions:
Is fuschia easier to rinse out than magenta?
Since I am most likely going to be mixing pure dyes to get red a lot, is it better to get Brilliant Orange and mix orange and magenta/fuschia to get red, is orange easier to rinse or to stick with adding some yellow? 
Do you need less weight of fuschia than magenta to get a similar depth of shade?
What are some of the best rinsing techniques? i don't have a washing machine and use a laundromat.
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Reds are tough because you need maximum color to make sure it is red.  They are the color most likely to bleed, and just a tiny bit is incredibly noticeable on white, so bleeding on other clothes are obvious. 

Fuchsia and Magenta are both primary reds, but they are slightly different.  The main difference is that yes, fuchsia is significantly stronger.  It is also slightly bluer, so technically if you want to mix violets, you shoudl use fuchsia and if you want to mix reds or oranges you should use magenta.  In reality, both are pretty clean and primary, so you can get both good violets and reds from both of them, but fuchsia is brighter naturally.  

Fuchsia also strikes faster, so it can really dominate mixes.  You will find if you mix with turquoise, you have to use very little fuchsia because it is so much stronger.  To get a middle of the road purple you need 28parts turquoise and 5 parts fuchsia, whereas with magenta you cna do it half and half because they are similar strengths.  So, in some ways, the color you mix with the primary red depends on which one you should use.  When I am mixing violets, I use fuchsia with bright blue as my primary, and when I use turquoise I use magenta. 

Fiber can only hold so much dye, but you can get a deeper color with Fuchsia than with magenta.  

As for rinsing, synthrapol or solar fast wash work great.  If you really want to maintain as much color as possible, then you might permanent dyeset concentrate.  It is what we use for reactive dyes in silk painting.  You really don't want color to bleed when you are painting with dye on fabric, so the dyeset concentrate is a reactive dye fixative that prevents bleeding and maintains as much color as possible, so before the garment is rinsed, you dunk it in  bath with permanent dyeset concentrate.  It locks the color in as much as possible.  You could do this before you rinse at the laundromat.  

Generally with rinsing reactive dyes, you should start cold, then move up to warm water.  The idea is to get unreacted dye out. Remember that dye that is rinsing out isn't going to stay anyway because it has not reacted with the fiber.  People worry about losing that color, but it was never a part of your garment.  If you want to keep any of it, you need a fixative.  

Whether you use Brilliant orange or yellow to make your reds doesn't make a lot of difference. You will need less Yellow than orange, and the quality of the 2 colors are going to be different slightly.  You can get a good red with either one.  For Fuchsia, 1 part fuchsia 2 parts Lemon yellow give you a really nice ferrari red, and I like it better than one you can make with magenta.  The orange version is more like 4 Orange to 1 fuchsia, and has a slightly different look, but they are pretty similar.  It is a matter of taste.  

However, my thinking there is that if you want the absolute cleanest color, you use the yellow because the red wavelength in the orange is likely different than the one in the fuchsia, so in a way, you are mixing 3 colors rather than 2 even though the orange is a single color.  
Quote 0 0
detobias detobias
Interesting discussion above but not applicable to idye poly because we don’t have a fuchsia. Maybe that should be the next color for us polys!
dianne
Quote 0 0