lisamweber
I'm very new to this without using a kit. We're working on a very large scale tie-dyeing project at school (around 800 shirts) and I'm currently working on the logistics. I read somewhere that you could put the soda ash in the bottles with the dyes (we will be using 16 ounce condiment bottles for the dye). If this is possible, how much soda ash should I add?

Originally I was trying to stay away from the soda ash pre-soak but am working on ways to make it possible. I did a similar project in the past (not quite on this scale) and we didn't even use the soda ash. It's main purpose is for more vibrant dyes correct?
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Yes you want the soda ash to get 100% brighter colors. 

You can add it to the bottle itself.  Add 3x the amount of soda ash as dye. So most people do 1-2 tablespoons in 8oz. So 1/2 to 1 in 4oz.  That means 3 tablespoons in 8 oz and 1.5 in 4 or so.  It doesn't have to be exact, but essentially 3x the amount.

Darker colors like black you want to use 2x the dye of colors like pink or blue.  
Quote 0 0
lisamweber
Thank you! For the first run of tie-dyeing (before your reply) I only added the same amount of soda ash as dye. They still turned out fine, slightly faded, but the students won't mind. We're out of school now however so I guess I'll try adding 3x the amount in a few weeks!
Quote 0 0