Valérie
Hello, I wondered if you could advise me. I have searched the internet high and low for a colour chart which uses the 11 standardised Procion MX dye colours only. I understand they are the base colours to make all the others. I have come across the Procion MX Colour Mixing Chart which is great, however it makes use of a much wider range of colours which I haven't got. I am wanting to print and paint with the dyes, and whilst it's experimental I am hoping to be a bit more directive. Thank you!
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
This is something I am chipping away at at the moment.  I don't know why no one has done it.  I have a color chart coming out really soon that uses primary colors and black.  I will post that as soon as I can. Should be really soon in the next week or so.  

If you have any colors you want to mix, I can definitely give you some direction. 

Just for anyone that is interested, these are the pure colors and my thoughts on each one.  

Lemon Yellow/ MX-8G(primary yellow) - Slight Blue bias means it is best for mixing bright pure greens
Brilliant Orange/MX2R - Brighter more vivid orange which can be used with magenta/fuchsia for reds or to deepen/dull down blues
Magenta/MX-5B - Good primary magenta.  Probably slightly red biased meaning it is better for mixing reds/oranges
Fuchsia/MX-8B - Also a good primary magenta.  This is more blue biased meaning it is better for mixing bright violets.  This fuchsia strikes faster than magenta.  More likely to get streaks/artifacts so mix well before adding fabric.  It can also overpower Turquoise, so when using it for Violets you only need a tiny bit. Very strong color
Turquoise/MXG - Primary blue.  Genuinely seems neutral, so it is good for both bright greens and great violets.
Cerulean/MXCG(blue163) Green biased slightly.  Slightly deeper blue than Turqouise.  Good for deeper purples and greens. 
Medium Blue/MX-R - Slightly red biased blue.  This is the blue most people think of when they hear blue.  Not a true cyan like Turquoise, but a deeper color.
Cobalt Blue/MX2G - Deep blue.  Not vibrant.  This is the darkest blue.  Looks the most like Indigo dye of any Procion dye.  Great starting point for any dark blue.  Good for mixing teals and Navy colors/dark purples.  
Warm Black/MXCWNA - This is our best cold water black.  Technically, the Jety black is not a procion dye, so while it performs great when batching(tie dye) when you use it as an immersin dye, it won't get black unless you get it hot.  Warm black is redder than Jet black, but is a better cold water black.  I think Jet black is actually better for mixing because warm black is toned(small amounts mixed into make it more neutral) while the Jet Black just one color.  
Neutral Grey/C-KG - Very neutral grey.  Awesome pure grey.  The newest Procion color it is in fact the 12th procion pure color. 
Violet/MX-G - Slightly blue biased violet.  Very nice color.  Clean and vibrant.  great for dulling yellows.
Bright Blue/Blue Cibracron F - technically a cibracron dye.  This is similar to Medium blue, but is probably more green biased than red like medium blue. It is brighter and more vibrant than Medium blue. Technically cibacron dyes use a slightly higher temp than procion, but it is fine for batching.  If doing and immersion dye you want more like 120-140 F instead of 100 like Procion.  More prone to bleed than other procion blues.  

More technical data here
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5ac4eb022971149bb6d709d3/t/5c01b6ed70a6ade2b1f02385/1543616237924/ProcionMX_Technical-Info-Chart.pdf

Quote 0 0
Valérie

Thank you so much for your response and your thoughts on Pure colours - really helpful. I didn't know about the 12th colour either which I'm glad of as I'm a big grey lover 🙂 I look forward to seeing and using your colour chart when it's ready 🙂

Quote 0 0
detobias detobias
Any plans to do the same for idye poly colors? Your reply is an excellent discussion of each dye’s use in the color wheel; wouldn’t that adapt generally to idye poly? Or are the characteristics of idye poly colors too different to adapt, e.g., I have mentioned grey too blue; black too green. 
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
The Idye poly is a different problem.  I would say it is the only dye line we have where we don't truly have great primary colors.  Turquoise is pretty good, Yellow is pretty good, but there is no magenta, and as you know the red is dull and very yellow.  

The problem wit the poly dyes is that there are a lot more colors, but they work at too high a temp that you need a pressure cooker to use them in water.  I am interested in getting as many colors as possible.  I'd really like a Navy.  let me know if you have suggestions.  
Quote 0 0
detobias detobias
I have gotten a good med navy with blue and black.  Would like a peach, salmon, mauve pink.  Will let you know how pressure cooker works.  If does, perhaps I would have access to more colors in disperse dyes than idye poly?   Dianne
Quote 0 0
CurlyHairedGirl
Did you ever come out with a dye chart that uses the pure colors or primaries? 
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
It is finished, but the graphics department is working on it.  I hope to share it really soon.  
Quote 0 0