Flyfisho
Just some info for those dying Deerhair (bucktail) and perhaps other hair on the hide. Not satisfied with the results of black acid dye, I researched on here some posts where others had had issues with dyeing hair black, particularly Lama with acid dye .

I was interested in using the Super Fast Acid Dye in black as suggested to @Aqua by Jacquard employee @Asher .... the suggestion to use on lama hair as a hard material to dye read well. I reached out to several people at Jacquard and got no reply, so at my own risk, I ordered super fast acid dye and paid for freight to Australia.

Attempt number 1- Followed the instructions at 8% of dye per volume of material, 1/2 cup of white vinegar 30mins at just below boiling (monitored with thermometer) and allowed to cool to room temp as per instructions. Result an average Gray color. I attempted to dye 7 bucktails

Attempt number 2 - New material, more than doubled the dye per volume out to 20% and 1 cup of vinegar, again 30 mins at just below boiling point, and allowed to cool to room temp, a slightly darker Gray. this time 8 bucktails were used.

Attempt number 3 - Same tails from the last batch, washed with Synthrapol and sitting now in cool clear water. Used 10% per volume, 30 mins at just below boiling 1/2 cup of vinegar, allowed to cool to room temp, and a dark Gray colour again.

So for those looking to use Super fast Acid Dye in black on Deerhair, this is my experience. In my opinion, the standard Acid dye works better, but black still isn't possible by following the instructions at max percentage of dye to material suggested, it comes out a very dark almost black chestnut. 

I will probably still persist with Acid Dye in black and will report back with any success. I am very much open to suggestions as I sell Bucktail for fly tying purposes and am determined to achieve a black and an olive, all other colours are great.
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Are you calculating the dye based on the amount of water or on the material you are dyeing?  I am a little confused there.  One thing you can try is to back off the acid a bit, especially with the jet black.  The acid dye tends to get more brown as the acid level gets higher and higher.  The fact you mentioned chestnut makes me think this might be happening.

The superfast dyes are made for wool, which is animal hair.  This is pretty surprising because they are usually stronger colors.  I might try the same thing here and back off the acid.  Use half of normal.  Can you post pictures?
Quote 0 0
Flyfisho
@Jacquardmod I genuinely appreciate the reply. The dye is calculated based on the weight of the dry material I am dying. The material is then pre wet then added to the dye bath. For every batch, I followed the instructions to a tee, when I doubled the dye, I doubled the acid too. Withe superfast, it didn't matter, it stayed Gray just a little darker the second time it went in. With the Acid Dye, I followed the instructions exactly, which turned the tails nearly black but not black.

I can send you a couple of Bucktails if you like? I am dying commercial quantities and would love to stick with Jacquard for all colors, and am willing to mail tails to you if you think you could provide me with a formula of your successful results?

The Gray one is super fast Acid dye passed through the process twice ( First time at 20%)
The darker one is next to one I dyed with Ecru (which turned out great), but you can see that chestnut hue in the black one which makes them no good for sale, I need to achieve jet black. ( excuse the borax still on the hide, as this was a photo I sent to one of my wholesale customers)
RenderedImage.jpg  60612290205__CF6D32AA-1829-40E1-ABCE-AC2F19B8EB67.jpg 
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
These photos are really interesting.  That second photo is telling me that the superfast dye is very neutral and nice, but that some portions of the hair are not getting dyed at all.  That is odd, but you can see near the hide that there are hairs that are looking like they are not dyed at all. It looks to me like the hair closest to the hide, those short hairs are not dyeing.  I don't have a good explanation for this, but they are very white.  It might be like in human hair dyeing.  It is harder to dye grey hair than other colors.  In any case, the Jet black is the more successful dye because it is darker even if the color isn't as neutral.  We should be able to fix that.  

Are you using Citric acid for your acid?  I am asking because if you add the amount of Vinegar we ask you to in the directions, and the amount of citric acid in another container, the citric acid bath is going to have a lower pH.  I totally get that you are following the directions, but those directions are really for silk and wool, not deer hair.  

If iIwere you, I would try lowering the amount of acid and see if that makes your jet black look more neutral instead of so warm.  I used to do testing on these colors and not carefully measure the acid.  I found with citric acid, the Jet black looked redder and I needed to dial it back a bit.  I want to put this on the black bottle because it seems to be the most noticeable color shift in the line.  The red just strikes faster at low pH.  I don't know if you do pH testing, but citric acid can bring you down around 2, when you really want to be around 4.  

The other option would be to add some emerald or kelly green to Jet black. That would be the complementary color to the red in that brown and might neutralize the brownish black and make it more black black.  The amount you would use to "tone" the black would be pretty small, usually 5-10% the total amount of dye you are using.  So if you are using 14 grams of dye, you would want to have 1.4 grams of green and back off it until it looks neutral, or add .7 grams of green and work your way up.  You want the total amount of dye to stay the same, so in the first example you would use 12.6 grams black and 1.4 grams emerald or kelly green.  

Which green to use is about which one you have and what the bias on that jet black sample is.  To me it looks purplish, in which case I would use the Kelly green because it is more yellow biased.  If it looks more orangey than purple, I would use emerald.  Either will probably work though.  

If that doesn't work, I will have you send me some material for testing.  
Quote 0 0