OccasionalIdiot OccasionalIdiot Show full post »
[Deleted User] [Deleted User]
Nylon is close enough.
Quote 0 0
OccasionalIdiot OccasionalIdiot
One last question- is it the heat or the pressure that sets in the paint? Someone who knows more about fabric than I do said I should just throw the blanket in the dryer. That would certainly be more convenient, with minimal chance for me to do something stupid.
Quote 0 0
It is the heat that sets the paints.
Running the blanket through a drying cycle will certainly assist and may even be sufficient heat to set the paints, I've had correspondence with folks that use that method and report good results. Because your blanket is polyester you probably want to avoid the hotter dryer temps.
While I think you are safe using this method I would still recommend a gentle cycle with cool water for future washes.
The reason we recommend the ironing method is because we know that works every time
Quote 0 0
OccasionalIdiot OccasionalIdiot
Okay, now how do I know if it set or not? And do I have to wash the blanket before I use it? From the texture there's a lot of extra pigment stuck to it (I may have gone a bit overboard with the coloring), and I don't know if that's supposed to come off when I wet it or not.
Quote 0 0
Well, at this point with your enthusiastic ironing adventure and presuming you've run it through the dryer at the appropriate temperature for the fabric for at least 30 minutes I think it is safe to give your blanket a wash.
Generally speaking the Dye-Na-Flow will soften somewhat when it is washed the first time, however, any pigment on the blanket, if fixed properly, will not come off.
Quote 0 0