LeatherMarble
We ran a full batch of marbling on leather and everything worked perfectly! So I don't know why it's all wrong now.

We've made our batch of carageenan just as before. We cut our leather to fit just as before. We mixed our paints just as before. But now they aren't spreading but sinking to the bottom and they don't stick to the leather.

Any tips? Why is the paint sinking and why isn't it sticking? We didn't treat the leather before in our first batch so I don't understand why that would be an issue now. Help!
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
This is a carrageenan problem I think.  Some things affect it strangely.  Temperature and humidity are the largest culprits.  Maybe your mixing ratio is off a little? 

The paints aren't sticking I think because they are not spreading.  Are you using our paints or your own?  Usually no spread and sinking is carrageenan that is too thick.  Did you use the same water each time?  Hard water will mean thinner carrageenan.  If you used hard water before and didn't this time, your carrageenan is too thick and just needs water.  This sounds like too thick carrageenan to me. 

Alum on leather isn't always necessary, but if it won't stick, you might need it.  I don't think you need as much as paper or fabric.  I would do 1tsp per gallon or even 1/2 a teaspoon per gallon to improve stick.  
Quote 0 0