Impassioned beginner
Hello, I am learning to batik on silk using Green Label Silk Dyes. I have read about a fascinating Japanese technique where gradual dye penetration achieved through controlling  resist levels in wax rather than traditional way of shaded direct dye application; it mentions adding a few drops of turkey red oil to the dye to facilitate dye penetration. However, I am not sure if that only applies to acid dyes, natural dyes or if at all can be (or even necessary?) used with fiber-reactive Green Label products. Please, can someone kindly advise if it is scientifically possible or have been tried before. Also, I am curious if turkey red oil addition alters the colors in any way, particularly after steam fixing. Many thanks in advance!  
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Hello,

I can't say for sure because i am not familiar with this technique.  However, using oil like this is almost certainly a physical thing as opposed to a chemical reaction type of modifier.  What that means is that it should affect all 3 of these classes of dye in pretty much the same way.  From what I can understand this is an emulsifier that essentially gives a mixture of the oil and dye and gives you more gradient like dye effects? Is that correct?  I think it should be fine with the green label colors.  
Quote 0 0
Impassioned beginner
Hello,

Thank you very much for such a prompt and informative reply. Yes, that's exactly what Japanese rozome masters are achieving with this method - graduation of colour through manipulating wax resist levels of dye penetration, rather then with the direct application with special brushes technique. I am glad I can use it with green label as I am more comfortable with it rather than powdered pigment dyes. Thank you very much again.

Kind regards,

E.S.
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Good luck.  The new forum allows us to post photos, so if you get a result you would like to share, I am sure everyone would love to see it!
Quote 0 0