ART&MONEY
Love the water based resist.  I was using gutta and now prefer the water based resist.  I read about coloring the resist (Yay!) with procion dyes, but want to know the best tool to use for writing.  I use an applicator and a 5mm tip, but damn my hand hurts squeezing that little bottle over time.  Is there a better tool to use?  Also, the resist sometimes gets a bit lumpy and a little lump of resists squirts out of the tip so the writing is not consistent.
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
The resist can settle because there are a lot of solids in there.  Stirring thoroughly beforehand can reduce those clumps.  

People use different things to this, and sometimes people use a larger bottle that is easier to squeeze.  Needle tipped bottles are pretty popular as well.  I have had this problem myself, and while we have made our applicator bottles softer, it can still be tough if you are making lots of lines. I hate to give the most obvious answer, but this is true of painters too, you need to give your hand time to recover.  If you take breaks before you get to the point where you have to stop, you can extend the time you can work by a lot.      
Quote 0 0
ART&MONEY
One other question- I used the water based resist but I did NOT heat set it. I am sure the resist went all the way through the fabric, but is there a significant difference between heat setting the resist and not heat setting?
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Water-based resist does not need a heat set.  It can sometimes discolor at high heat which is why we do not recommend steaming it for more than 1.5 hrs.  

Our resistad resist, does resist better when heat set.  So they are different in that way.  
Quote 0 0