K. Rosa
Good morning... I have not used the piñata inks yet and was wondering about waterproofing the ink on slick surfaces, like glass and ceramic....I have seen some beautiful work on teacups, plates, tiles and the like, but do they remain utilitarian after they are decorated?  is there a way to seal the artwork for hand-washing. etc...?  Thank you in advance for your time and assistance!
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Hello,

The best way it to use an epoxy resin.  That becomes actual plastic so it is really super durable.  The other way I have heard that seems good, is to do a thin layer of Krylon Kmar Varnish to seal them, and then use a layer of dishwasher safe Mod Podge.  If you use the Mod Podge by itself it will probably bleed, but sealing it with Kamar first it will be fine.  
Quote 1 0
cheryl
Jacquardmod- so I have been playing with this too- and as far as I understand it- epoxy is not food safe, correct??
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
It's a great question.  Ideally the epoxy once cured is plastic.  However, is there any catalyst or resin leftover that is not cured?  It's possible.  I wouldn't mess with it if I was immuno compromised or something like that.  This is a good discussion

https://www.theepoxyresinstore.com/blogs/news/is-your-epoxy-resin-food-safe

Really if you want to make things that are food safe, you should not paint the area where the person's mouth is going to go.  however, if the outside of a bowl was done this way, and you are only touching the inside with your spoon, that seems pretty safe.  Likewise with a glass or tumbler as long as your mouth is not directly touching the epoxy, I think you would be pretty safe.

In the end, using good practices, making extra sure the amounts of each you are using are correct, and being smart about where on the product you actually have the epoxy, is the way to go.

Often you see say metal glazes on pottery, but you only very rarely see those metallic colors on areas where your mouth will go.  That is because those metallic glazes usually have lead in them to get that metallic color.  You don't want that on earthenware your mouth is going to touch.

Hope this helps.  i am not sure there is a 100% satisfying answer to this question.    
Quote 0 0
cheryl
thanks for a thorough answer!! 
Quote 0 0